What today is…
”Well, when I changed schools, when I was a kid, my Dad made a point of telling me how much he had always looked forward to Presidents’ Day, when he was a boy, because it’s the law that on Presidents’ Day, the kids who go to school dressed as their favourite presidents get a big bag of candy.”
"Oh. That’s a nice law," said Rosie. "I wish we had something like that in England." Rosie had never been out of the UK, if you didn’t count a Club 18-30 holiday to an island in, she was fairly certain, the Mediterranean. She had warm brown eyes and a good heart, even if geography was not her strongest suit.
"It’s not a nice law,” said Fat Charlie. “It’s not a law at all. He made it up. Most states don’t even have school on Presidents Day, and even for the ones that do, there is no tradition of going to school on Presidents’ Day dressed as your favourite president. Kids dressed as presidents do not get big bags of candy by an Act of Congress, nor is your popularity in the years ahead, all through middle school and high school, decided entirely by which president you decided to dress as - the average kids dress as the obvious presidents, the Lincolns and Washingtons and Jeffersons, but the ones who would become popular, they dressed as John Quincy Adams or Warren Gamaliel Harding, or someone like that. And it’s bad luck to talk about it before the day. Or rather it isn’t, but he said it was.”
"Boys and girls dress up as presidents?”
"Oh yes. Boys and girls. So I spent the week before Presidents’ Day reading everything there was to read about presidents in the World Book Encyclopedia, trying to choose the right one."
"Didn’t you ever suspect that he was pulling your leg?"
Fat Charlie shook his head. “It’s not something you think about, when my dad starts to work you over. He’s the finest liar you’ll ever meet. He’s convincing.”
Rosie took a sip of her Chardonnay. “So which President did you go to school as?”
"Taft. He was the 27th president. I wore a brown suit my father had found somewhere, with the legs all rolled up and a pillow stuffed down the front. I had a painted-on moustache. My dad took me to school himself that day. I walked in so proudly. The other kids just screamed and pointed, and somewhere in there I locked myself in a cubicle in the boys’ room and cried. They wouldn’t let me go home to change. I went through the day like that. It was Hell."
"You should have made something up," said Rosie. "You were going to a costume party afterwards or something. Or just told them the truth."
"Yeah," said Fat Charlie meaningfully and gloomily, remembering.
"What did your dad say, when you got home?"
"Oh, he hooted with laughter. Chuckled and chortled and, and chittered and all that. Then he told me that maybe they didn’t do that Presidents’ Day stuff any more. Now, why didn’t we go down to the beach together and look for mermaids?"
From ANANSI BOYS. By some British Guy.
- originalkaren reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- originalkaren likes this
- mareepthesheep reblogged this from neil-gaiman and added:
- dealwithhim-hemingway likes this
- holy-interruptus-batman likes this
- jjwhattt likes this
- deadlightsgirl reblogged this from neil-gaiman and added:
- splitsthesky reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- dignified-deceit likes this
- youbutmostlyme likes this
- pisthelimit likes this
- m0rimak0 reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- shoutsindwarvish likes this
- jawzlynn likes this
- g33kboi likes this
- lokeanconcubine reblogged this from iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea
- lokeanconcubine likes this
- sucuygar likes this
- awesomest-g-dane likes this
- kittylurks reblogged this from neil-gaiman and added:
- kittylurks likes this
- specspectacle likes this
- prunescholar likes this
- biichama reblogged this from fyrdrakken
- fyrdrakken reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- therona likes this
- c4rbonidiot likes this
- caemin reblogged this from neil-gaiman and added:
- rm322 reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- interludesanddaydreams likes this
- notlikethecountry reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- this-twilight-garden reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- this-twilight-garden likes this
- stillwaterrunsdeep likes this
- the-hotel-lobby likes this
- izanimus likes this
- esorehta reblogged this from velveteenjeeves and added:
- velveteenjeeves reblogged this from neil-gaiman and added:
- duksyisthename reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- thelionfox reblogged this from syntaria
- syntaria reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- syntaria likes this
- fatpandabat likes this
- stepsoversnails likes this
- clairesalcedo likes this
- epsilonnot likes this
- alicemonster likes this
- andymagnuseth likes this
- esbatty reblogged this from academicchris and added:
- esbatty likes this