Reposted as something that can be reblogged. ON WRITER’S BLOCK.
You turn off your inner critic. You do not listen to your inner police force. You ignore the little voices that tell you that it’s all stupid, and you keep going.
Your grade isn’t suffering because your writing is bad, it’s suffering because you aren’t finishing things and handing them in.
So, finish them and hand them in. Even if a story’s lousy, you’ll learn something from it that will be useful as a writer, even if it’s just “don’t do that again”.
You’re always going to be dissatisfied with what you write. That’s part of being human. In our heads, stories are perfect, flawless, glittering, magical. Then we start to put them down on paper, one unsatisfactory word at a time. And each time our inner critics tell us that it’s a rotten idea and we should abandon it.
If you’re going to write, ignore your inner critic, while you’re writing. Do whatever you can to finish. Know that anything can be fixed later.
Remember: you don’t have to be brilliant when you start out. You just have to write. Every story you finish puts you closer to being a writer, and makes you a better writer.
Blaming “Writer’s Block” is wonderful. It removes any responsibility from the person with the “block”. It gives you something to blame, and it sounds fancy.
But it’s probably more honest to think of it as a combination of laziness, perfectionism and Getting Stuck. If you’re being lazy, don’t be. If you’re being a perfectionist, don’t be. And if you’re stuck, figure out where the story went off the rails, or what you got wrong, or where you need to go deeper, or what you need to add to make it work, and then start writing again.
- tangothelimevworpmango reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- thedoctorandhisamy likes this
- worldofprocrastination reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- floydiantree reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- thecountofwords likes this
- theotherthompson likes this
- amyponder likes this
- stupidbloodyidiots reblogged this from stupidbloodyidiotsarchive and added:
- thecountofwords reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- thanksfortheuniverse likes this
- diamonddolorosa reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- devotedslothminion likes this
- blumalou likes this
- oleweczka likes this
- heideaguirre likes this
- thejudoonpoet reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- iridescentbadger likes this
- tosakahiyoko likes this
- callathump likes this
- ladamania likes this
- justlikesnoopdoggbreakinmahart likes this
- ludicrous-havoc reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- shibishib likes this
- kikisxx reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- laurusmagazine reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- onfilmdirecting likes this
- tstape reblogged this from neil-gaiman and added:
- x-beni-o2-x reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- hollow-earth reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- uselessknight likes this
- isortofknowwhatimdoing reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- midnightwriter99 likes this
- vinzyra likes this
- bloodballs likes this
- srhfade reblogged this from shiitsuu
- srhfade likes this
- asukacausesthermalexpansion likes this
- kennipants reblogged this from shiitsuu
- wetheeloquentdorks reblogged this from shiitsuu
- shiitsuu reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- miasboobs reblogged this from rpedia
- hermit-with-attitude likes this
- bongwater likes this
- toujoursivre reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- midnightskirt likes this
- art-ref-out-the-wazoo reblogged this from art-refs-out-the-wazoo
- writingandart reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- armonian reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- thusforexample reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- odette0803 reblogged this from lildinogirl